Matthew G. Pletcher
Matt Pletcher, a native Houstonian, focuses his practice on complex civil litigation involving professional liability, premises liability, business disputes, catastrophic injuries and wrongful death. He also has extensive experience in pharmaceutical product liability and first party insurance and bad faith litigation.
Pletcher's professional liability litigation and trial experience includes cases involving medical, legal and architectural malpractice. This experience includes medical and legal credentialing, discipline and grievance proceedings.
Pletcher's experience handling catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases includes litigation involving birth injuries, neurologic injuries, drowning injuries and deaths, mechanical asphyxiations, fires and explosions, burns (steam and fire), lightning strikes, automobile, trucking, aviation and highway construction accidents, oil field accidents, industrial accidents, sexual assault and abuse, and elder and children abuse. His commercial litigation experience includes cases involving breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, breach of contract, tortious interference, civil conspiracy, securities fraud, and conversion.
Matt Pletcher has attained an AV® Preeminent peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell. The AV® Preeminent rating signifies the highest level of professional excellence based upon peer review evaluation from lawyers and judges who have observed Pletcher's legal skill and ethical standards.
- Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
South Texas College of Law
- J.D. - 1987
- B.S. - 1984 - Major: Business Administration
- A Review of Tort Reform’s Impact on Malpractice Premiums: Is It the Answer?, Group Practice Journal, 2004
- What You Need to Know to Evaluate a Nonsubscriber Workers’ Compensation Case , Texas Personal Injury Law Reporter, 1993
- The New Workers’ Compensation Act: A Nuts and Bolts Approach, State Bar Of Texas, Professional Development Program, Austin, Texas, May 1991
- The Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act & Financial Services Claims, Orange, California, June 3, 2010
- Tort Reform in Texas, New York City, New York, March 7, 2008
- Tort Reform in Texas, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, April 3, 2007
- Underwriting and Claims Handling After House Bill 4, Jersey City, New Jersey, November 30, 2006
- A Brave New World, Houston, Texas, April 15, 2004
- Anatomy of a Lawsuit – Avoiding the Inevitable, Century Healthcare of Texas, Inc. DBA Champions Treatment Center, Houston, Texas, December 12, 1995
- Cross-Examination by Exception to the Rules, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, TADC Rookie Seminar, Houston, Texas, 1994
- Managed Care Liability in the 90’s: What’s on First? No, Who’s on First, What’s on Second, I Don’t Know Who’s on Third, Houston, Texas, 1994
- The New Workers’ Compensation Act: A Nuts and Bolts Approach, State Bar of Texas, Professional Development Program, Austin, Texas, May 1991
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
Pro Bono Activities
- Represented an indigent inmate convicted of felony murder in multiple federal appeals, 1989 – 1994